Sunday, March 8, 2009

The First Martyr

Yesterday, Dad read to us the story of Stephen, the first martyr (which can be found in Acts chapters 6&7). After reading this, Dad asked us the question, "Are you ready to stand for what you believe?"
I got to thinking about that question. "If somebody stuck a gun to my head and asked if I believe in Jesus Christ, would I have the enough courage and strength to say "yes"?"
Recently, I wrote a report on courage, and I saw that you need courage to do just about everything!
Then, not so recently, I had to write a paper for a debate class about standing for what I believe is right.
That got me thinking again! :) "I have stood for what I believe is right in the past, but could I stand and face persecution?" My flesh would say say no, I don't want to die. Then I look at one of the "debates" I have had with one of my friends. I stood then and I'm still standing now. Standing firm in what I believe is right. Could I stand that strong in the face of persecution?
Matthew 10:33 says: "But whosoever shall deny me before men, him shall I also deny before My Father which is in heaven."
I should hate to have Jesus Christ deny me before His Father because I denied Him.
Stephen, Paul, Peter, and John the Baptist are some of the first martyrs.
There is a book called Jesus Freaks. It has lots of stories about Christian martyrs. That book will not stop growing 'till Jesus Christ comes back.
Become a Jesus Freak. Stand up for what you believe is right. And one day your name may be in the book of Jesus Freaks. Not everyone has to die to be a Jesus Freak; you could be debating about what you believe with a friend or a family member.




"What would people think when they hear that I'm a Jesus Freak? What will people do when they find that it's true? I don't really care if they label me a Jesus Freak cause there ain't no disguising the truth.
What will people think, what will people do? I don't really care what else can I say, there ain't no disguising the truth."

Chorus from Jesus Freak, the song
By DC Talk

1 comment:

  1. Very good Kiehl!!
    I think we all need to be reminded once in a while to be courageous and not fear. =]
    Love you!
    ~Marguerite

    ReplyDelete